Throbbing Arthritis Thumb Pain? These Remedies Get Two Enthusiastic “Thumbs Up!”
Arthritis Thumb is the inflammation or irritation of the thumb joint and is usually accompanied by tenderness to the touch and painful movement. We will experience thumb joint pain in our thumb when we flex or straighten it (or accidentally stub it on a wall or basketball). As we age (particularly 40+), our tissues and bodily structures (especially joints) tend to repair themselves at a slower level and depending on our lifestyle and diet, may not repair themselves adequately – the result is a type of arthritis and in this case Arthritis Thumb Joint Pain.
This can make simple tasks like opening a jar or turning a doorknob rather difficult as one wrong touch can send pain shooting up to our brains, and then we’re left with a red throbbing thumb. The natural tendency is to place it in the mouth as the pressure and wetness feel good to it immediately after an injury. Or course, this is not always practical, unless you’re in preschool!
Thumb Arthritis Causes
Arthritis Thumb is believed to be caused by performing excessive repetitive type movements, particularly when bending or straightening the thumb joint but is most commonly associated with injury or inflammatory conditions in the body. It can be a crushing injury like slamming a door on it or from hitting it against a hard object straight on.
Arthritis Thumb Pain Relief
- Evaluate when you first notice it, and if you are using a repetitive motion, try to adjust the angle or your activity, or stop, rest and massage the affected thumb.
- Strengthen the muscles around the thumb joint (do some basic wrist curls while extending your hands or get a non-impact joint friendly home gym as exercise is extremely important to keeping your joints fluid and not stiffened and painful)
- Get a Far Infrared Heating Pad, and drape it over your hands. This allows your muscles and connective tissues to relax and reduces inflammation and pain.
- Begin incorporating an arthritis diet, and cut back on the items that cause inflammation and pain
- Include Omega-3 oils (preferably from northern cold water fish)
- Add warming spices (anti-inflammatories) to your meals if you enjoy them (curry, turmeric, ginger, garlic, cayenne)
- Drink plenty of fluids, particularly Alkaline Ionized Water (removing acidity from the joints is extremely important and hydrating the joint keeps it operating smoothly and fluidly)
- Try topical Rub-On Relief for temporary relief (provides temporary acute pain relief while recovering)
- Take arthritis remedies (glucosamine, SAM-e, Curcumin & Bioprene)
- Use the homeopathic remedy for arthritis in conjunction with herbal remedies and muscle exercises and relaxers
- Lower your overall stress level (watch a comedy or even sing around the house, it really does work)
Doing a few specific arthritis exercises can also help you get relief and draw the nutrients you are taking directly into your thumb joints. Be sure to give your body the nutrition and supplementation it needs to rebuild your joints from the inside out. For arthritis thumb, as for most joint degenerative conditions, I recommend taking Marquee Mobility to help soothe the irritated thumb joints, remove inflammation and pain while providing natural lubrication and rebuilding nutrients.